Thursday, June 26, 2008

Rock Stars for God

Today was our last work day at the Mount of Olives Church in Barrio Mexico. As we were planning our day last night, I will admit to a trace of skepticism. Our list of tasks included: Installing two more drop ceilings in the parsonage, painting the entire sanctuary of the church, presiding over up to 130 kids at VBS and hosting a Fiesta slash American style cookout for the entire neighborhood. With no gas grill. OK, let's be honest here...I was pretty sure there was no way it was all going to happen. But it did! And I'm not even all that tired. Pure adrenaline, peeps. I recommend it.

The neighborhood fiesta was awesome. It was only mentioned yesterday and today at VBS, and once on the VBS invitations we handed out at the school every afternoon...but we had about 250 people come through the church tonight! An amazing number that I think Pastor was very happy with...the majority was most likely made up of unchurched people from the surrounding area. Hopefully they got a taste of the joy and exuberance for the Lord that lives at the Mount of Olives church, and they will want to come again to get sommadat!

The children have really warmed up to us over the past four days, and tonight they were flat out adorable, showering us with kisses and hugs and holding our hands. As a mama dearly missing her own kids right now, it couldn't have been more wonderful for me to hold these children and shower them with compliments and love. Pastor's wife made four huge, beautiful iced cakes for the party (in her tiny kitchen with two stoves and zero countertops...Im going to post some pictures of it when I get back...you cannot believe how cramped and pieced together this thing is, but the food that emerged from there daily was far superior to any restaurant food I've eaten this week...and we've had some great meals!). When the cakes came in, the whole crowd applauded and the kids faces literally lit up! Pastor had the team come up on stage and thanked us for our work, showed the crowd the cross we and the children made for the church and then he announced una sopreza...or a surprise! And at that moment, through the church doors walked a complete Mariachi band! The crowd went wild, to borrow a phrase, and the band sang and played for us...it was unbelievable. Afterward, all the kids started asking us to sign bits of paper or paper plates or even their shirts and arms. All of a sudden, we were feeling like rock stars for God!

As the party began to break up, everyone came over to us to say Adios, Mucho Gusto, Gracias and I Love You. The church ladies, which is what I called them in my mind all week, hugged our necks tightly and wished us blessings and safe travels. My special friend tonight, 5-year-old Paola, came over to hug me and kiss my cheek and put a piece of her own candy in my hand. I showed her very pregnant mama (she is due in one week and was at bible school with her two kids every day!) a picture of my two girls, and a few minutes later Paola brought me a picture of herself with her cousins and aunt. In the picture, she is holding a baby doll and laughing. I looked at it and handed it back to her, but her mama said something like... Paola dice para usted, which means Paola wants you to have it. I choked back my tears and leaned down to tell her...Tu familia es muy linde...I hope she understood my broken Spanish.

As we drove away from the church for the last time, with the neighbors waving and following the bus down the street, the feelings were naturally mixed. A contented happiness that we were able to accomplish many things for them, mixed with a heavy sadness that we would not be seeing their beautiful faces again. At least for a while....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home